Wednesday 24 July 2013

Let Them Eat Kake!

British Human Easel
British Human Easel
Kake Broek is one of the most imaginative, surreal, funny, poignant and prolific photographers I know of in SL. He is absolutely one of my favourite artists.
I first met Kake at last year’s Annual WarBug Air Show where I acted as the Official War Correspondent.  Kake was dressed in his ‘Cockney Cowboy’ guise and contacted me with an vaguely flirty exploratory IM. I zoomed in and thought “what the blooming heck is this”! However, it was pretty obvious pretty quickly that this “ugly” avatar had been thought out and created with care and attention. I was of course immediately reminded of my dear friends The Puddlegums and Old Lar. Kake had sufficiently piqued my interest to read his profile - and most significantly - follow the link to his flick stream, named “Adolf Chaplin”. Immediately on seeing the first picture I added him as a contact and have been following his work since.
Das Signal
Das Signal
Kake’s pictures are funny. They make me laugh. But like many of the finest comedians, underneath that easily digestible sugar-sweet coating is a more bitter-dark interior. These two complimentary sides of Kake’s work are perfectly amplified in the name he has chosen for his account - Adolf Chaplin – the icons of political-evil and comedic-silliness, respectively.
Cockney Cowboy
Cockney Cowboy
Integral to the visual images Kake creates are the titles he gives his pictures. The titles almost always give background information about the image and sometimes can change entirely how you perceive the image. The title sometimes make a hard picture lighter, and other times change a light, fun image into something dark and edgy.
Londonistan
Londonistan
Politics, religion, topics of the day, Second Life, TV programmes, movies, celebrity culture and much more are given the Kake treatment of light and darkness. In fact, many of the themes Kake presents can also be found here on my own humble blog. This is not entirely surprising – we both currently live in London and, we discovered, share a number of SL friends. Notable among these friends are Phillip Sidek – whom I made a fun film with and Kake a number of photos – and Arduenn Schwartzman – who created the V-2 Rocket WarBug with me as his Muse and with whom I created two WarBug machinima.
Stop Drama
Stop Drama
Add Kake Broek as a contact on flickr and you’ll quickly find you’ll enjoy his combination of irreverent light-dark humour and weird and wonderful creativity as much as I do!
Pixie xx
Noblesse Oblige
Noblesse Oblige
Sunday afternoon at Cica Ghost's yard ("black cat under a ladder")
Black Cat Under A Ladder
Auschwitz side by side (#2)
Auschwitz Side By Side #2
mutatis mutandis
Mutatis Mutandis
The Secret Adventures of Tintin #4
The Secret Adventures of TinTin #4
Walking Class Hero
Walking Class Hero
How noir of you to ask that we go through that dark alley at this time of night
How Noir Of You To Ask We Go Through That Dark Alley At This Time Of Night
Jawohl Mein Meister
Jawohl Mein Meister
This is not art
This Is Not Art

No comments:

Post a Comment